My research lies at the intersection of computational social science and social epidemiology. Methodologically, my work revolves around combining disparate data sources in epidemiologically meaningful ways. For example, I work with individual-level, non-health data (e.g., GPS, accelerometer, and other sensor data from smartphones), traditional health data (e.g., survey, health systems, or death certificate data), and third-party data (e.g., cellphone providers or ad-tech data). To do this, I use a variety of methods such as joint Bayesian spatial models, traditional epidemiologic models, dynamical models, microsimulation, and demographic analysis.
Substantively, my work focuses on socioeconomic and racial/ethnic inequities in health. A few current projects include (1) my K99/R00-funded work focused on reducing racial/ethnic inequities in the treatment of opioid use disorder; (2) my work with CrisisReady on quantifying the impacts of wildfires, natural disasters, climate change, and power outages on medically-vulnerable populations to inform equitable disaster response; and (3) my work with the COVID-19 Mobility Data Network on leveraging third-party data to evaluate and inform public health interventions to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Chen Y-H, Stokes AC, Aschmann HE, Chen R, DeVost S, Kiang MV, Koliwad S, Riley AR, Glymour MM, Bibbins-Domingo K, Excess natural-cause deaths in California by cause and setting: March 2020 through February 2021, PNAS Nexus. Published online June 15, 2022. doi: 10.1093/pnasnexus/pgac079
- Chen R, Aschmann HE, Chen Y-H, Glymour MM, Bibbins-Domingo K, Stokes AC, Kiang MV, Racial and ethnic disparities in excess mortality from external causes in the United States, March to December 2020, JAMA Internal Medicine. Published online May 09, 2022. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2022.1461. [Editor’s note] [Press Release] [Code and data]
- Kiang MV, Acosta RJ, Chen Y-H, Matthay EC, Tsai AC, Basu S, Glymour MM, Bibbins-Domingo K, Humphreys K‡, Arthur KN‡, Sociodemographic and geographic disparities in excess fatal drug overdoses during the COVID-19 pandemic in California: a population-based study. The Lancet Regional Health – Americas. 2022 Jul;11:100237. doi: 10.1016/j.lana.2022.100237. Epub 2022 Mar 19. PubMed PMID: 35342895; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC8934030. ‡Senior authors contributed equally. [Code]
- Chen Y-H, Chen R, Charpignon M-L, Kiang MV, Riley AR, Glymour MM, Bibbins-Domingo K, Stokes AC, COVID-19 mortality among working-age Americans in 46 states, by industry and occupation, Preprint on medRxiv (Apr 2022), doi: 10.1101/2022.03.29.22273085 [NY Times]
- Chen Y-H, Riley AR, Duchowny KA, Aschmann HE, Chen R, Kiang MV, Mooney A, Stokes AC, Glymour MM, Bibbins-Domingo K, COVID-19 mortality and excess mortality among working-age Californians, by occupational sector: March 2020 through November 2021, Preprint on medRxiv (Feb 2022), doi: 10.1101/2022.02.14.22270958
- Potter AL, Rosenstein A, Kiang MV, Shah SA, Gaissert HA, Chang DC, Fintelmann FJ, & Yang CJ, The effect of computed tomography screening on lung cancer stage shift and survival in the United States, BMJ 2022;376:e069008. doi: 10.1136/bmj-2021-069008. [Invited editorial]
- Riley AR†, Kiang MV†, Chen Y-H, Bibbins-Domingo K, & Glymour MM, Recent shifts in racial/ethnic disparities in COVID-19 mortality in the vaccination period in California, Journal of General Internal Medicine (February 2022), doi: 10.1007/s11606-021-07380-6. [†First authors contributed equally.] [Press Release] [Code]
- Kiang MV, Chen Y-H, Matthay EC, Glymour MM, Bibbins-Domingo K, Humphreys K, & Arthur KN, Colliding Crises: Excess fatal drug overdoses in California during the COVID-19 pandemic by race/ethnicity, education attainment, and geography. Population Association of America Annual Meeting 2022: Atlanta (April 2022).
- Elser H, Parks RM, Moghavem N, Kiang MV, Bozinov N, Henderson VW, Rehkopf DH, & Casey JA, Anomalously warm weather and acute care visits in patients with multiple sclerosis: A retrospective study of privately insured individuals in the US. American Academy of Neurology Virtual Annual Meeting 2021: Online (April 2021). [Selected for press release]
- Ferguson J, Magid H, Purnell A, Kiang MV, & Osborne T, Evaluating potential disparities in COVID-19 testing and test positivity in the veterans health administration. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting 2020: Online (October 2020).
- Matthay EC, Kiang MV, Elser H, Glymour MM, Schmidt LA, & Humphreys K, Association of recreational cannabis laws with self-harm and assault injuries. Interdisciplinary Association for Population Health Sciences Annual Conference 2020: Online (September 2020).
- Faculty Mentor, Advancing Health Equity and Diversity (AHEaD)Fellowship (Summer 2021 and Summer 2022), Stanford University School of Medicine [Stanford Report] [Stanford Scope Blog]
- Instructor, Big Data and Infectious Disease Epidemiology (September 2019), People’s Republic of Bangladesh Directorate General of Health Services
- Course developer (x2), Using Python for Research via HarvardX V1 (November 2016) and V2 (January 2018), HSPH, Professor Jukka-Pekka Onnela
- Instructor, Intro to Causal Inference for Data Science Workshop (March 2017), Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México
- Teaching assistant (x2), Dynamics of Infectious Disease (Spring 2017 and Spring 2018), HSPH, Professor Caroline Buckee
- Teaching assistant, Society and Health (Fall 2013), HSPH, Professor Ichiro Kawachi
- Teaching assistant, Biostatistics II (Spring 2010), NYU, Professor Ying Lu
- Teaching assistant, Statistics I (Fall 2009), NYU, Professor Robert Norman
†First authors contributed equally.
‡Senior authors contributed equally.
§Best student poster award.