My research lies at the intersection of computational social science and social epidemiology. Methodologically, my work revolves around combining disparate data sources in epidemiologically meaningful ways. For example, I work with individual-level, non-health data (e.g., GPS, accelerometer, and other sensor data from smartphones), traditional health data (e.g., survey, health systems, or death certificate data), and third-party data (e.g., cellphone providers or ad-tech data). To do this, I use a variety of methods such as joint Bayesian spatial models, traditional epidemiologic models, dynamical models, microsimulation, and demographic analysis.
Substantively, my work focuses on socioeconomic and racial/ethnic inequities in health. A few current projects include (1) my K99-funded work focused on reducing racial/ethnic inequities in the treatment of opioid use disorder; (2) my work with CrisisReady on quantifying the impacts of wildfires, natural disasters, climate change, and power outages on medically-vulnerable populations to inform equitable disaster response; and (3) my work with the COVID-19 Mobility Data Network on leveraging third-party data to evaluate and inform public health interventions to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Balsari S, Kiang MV, & Buckee CO, Data in Crisis — Rethinking disaster response in the United States. (In Press)
- Kiang MV, Chen JT, Krieger N, Buckee CO, Alexander MJ, Baker JT, Buckner RL, Coombs III G, Rich-Edwards JW, Carlson KW, & Onnela JP, Sociodemographic characteristics of missing data in digital phenotyping, Scientific Reports (July 2021) doi: 10.1038/s31598-021-94516-7. [Pre-print version] [Open Access] [Code]
- Satinsky EN, Kimura T, Kiang MV, Abebe R, Carlson CJ, Cunningham S, Lee H, Lin X, Liu CH, Rudan I, Sen S, Tomlinson M, Yaver M, & Tsai AC, Systematic review and meta-analysis of depression, anxiety, and suicidal ideation among Ph.D. students. Scientific Reports (July 2021), doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-93687-7
- Kiang MV & Tsai AC, Failure of leadership in U.S. academic medicine after George Floyd’s killing by police and amidst subsequent unrest, Annals of Epidemiology (May 2021), doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.04.018 [Pre-print version] [Reproducible code and supplement]
- Elser H, Parks RM, Moghavem N, Kiang MV, Bozinov N, Henderson VW, Rehkopf DH, & Casey JA, Anomalously warm weather and acute care visits in patients with multiple sclerosis: A retrospective study of privately insured individuals in the US. PLOS Medicine (April 2021), doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1003580. [Open Access]
- Huynh BQ, Kwong LH, Kiang MV, Mohareb AM, Jumaan AO, Basu S, Geldsetzer P, Karaki FM, & Rehkopf DH, Public health impacts of an imminent Red Sea oil spill, Preprint on medRxiv (April 2021), doi: 10.1101/2021.04.08.21255129. [Pre-print — not peer-reviewed] [Open Access]
- Ferguson JM†, Magid H†, Purnell AL, Kiang MV, & Osborne TF, Differences in COVID-19 testing and test positivity among Veterans, United States, 2020. Public Health Reports (April 2021), doi: 10.1177/00333549211009498. [†First authors contributed equally.]
- Wrigley-Field E, Kiang MV, Riley AR, Barbieri M, Chen Y-H, Duchowny KA, Matthay EC, Van Riper D, Jegathesan K, Bibbins-Domingo K, & Leider JP, Geographically-targeted COVID-19 vaccination is more equitable than age-based thresholds alone, Preprint on medRxiv (March 2021), doi: 10.1101/2021.03.25.21254272. [Pre-print — not peer-reviewed] [Open Access]
- Kiang MV, Chin ET, Huynh BQ, Chapman LAC, Rodríguez-Barraquer I, Greenhouse B, Rutherford GW, Bibbins-Domingo K, Havlir D, Basu S, & Lo NC, Routine asymptomatic testing strategies for airline travel during the COVID-19 pandemic: a simulation study. The Lancet Infectious Diseases (March 2021), doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(21)00134-1. [Reproducible code and data] [UCSF Press Release] [Pre-print version] [Blog post] [NPR’s A1] [Editor’s Choice July 2021]
- Matthay EC, Kiang MV, Elser H, Schmidt LA, & Humphreys K, Evaluation of state cannabis laws and rates of self-harm and assault, JAMA Network Open (March 2021), doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.1955. [Invited commentary] [UCSF Press Release] [Stanford media] [Open Access]
- Salje H, Wesolowski A, Brown TS, Kiang MV, Berry IM, Lefrancq N, Fernandez S, Jarman R, Ruchusatsawat K, Iamsirithaworn S, Vandepitte W, Suntarattiwong P, Klungthong C, Thaisomboonsuk B, Engø-Monsen K, Buckee CO‡, Cauchemez S‡, & Cummings DA‡, Reconstructing unseen transmission events to infer dengue dynamics from viral sequences, Nature Communications (March 2021), doi: 10.1038/s41467-021-21888-9. [Pre-print version] [‡Senior authors contributed equally] [Open Access]
- Brown TS, Engø-Monsen K, Kiang MV, Mahmud AS, Maude RJ, & Buckee CO, The impact of mobility network properties on predicted epidemic dynamics in Dhaka and Bangkok, Epidemics (February 2021) doi: 10.1016/j.epidem.2021.100441. [Pre-print version] [Open Access]
- Casey JA, Mango M, Mullendore S, Kiang MV, Hernández D, Li B, Li K, Im TM, & Tartof SY, Trends from 2008 to 2018 in electricity-dependent durable medical equipment rentals and sociodemographic disparities, Epidemiology (February 2021), doi: 10.1097/EDE.0000000000001333
- Baum LVM, Bruzelius E, Kiang MV, Humphreys K, Basu S, & Baum A, Analysis of unused prescription opioids and benzodiazepines remaining after death among Medicare decedents, Drug and Alcohol Dependence (February 2021), doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.108502
- Elser H†, Kiang MV†, John EM, Simard JF, Bondy M, Nelson LM, Chen W, Linos E, The impact of the first COVID-19 shelter-in-place announcement on social distancing, difficulty in daily activities, and levels of concern in the San Francisco Bay Area: A cross-sectional social media survey, PLOS One (January 2021), doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0244819. [Pre-print version] [Open Access]
- Kiang MV†, Santillana M†, Chen JT, Onnela J-P, Krieger N, Engø-Monsen K, Ekapirat N, Areechokchai D, Prempree P, Maude RJ‡, & Buckee CO‡, Incorporating human mobility data improves forecasts of Dengue fever in Thailand, Scientific Reports (January 2021), doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-79438-0. [Pre-print version] [†First authors contributed equally] [‡Senior authors contributed equally]
- Casey JA, Fukurai M, Hernandez D, Balsari S, & Kiang MV, Power outages and community health: a narrative review, Current Environmental Health Reports (November 2020), doi: 10.1007/s40572-020-00295-0.
- Kiang MV, Irizarry RA, Buckee CO, & Balsari S, Every body counts: Measuring mortality from the COVID-19 pandemic, Annals of Internal Medicine (September 2020), doi: 10.7326/M20-3100. [Open Access] [Invited commentary]
- Chin T†, Kahn R†, Li R, Chen JT, Krieger N, Buckee CO, Balsari S‡ & Kiang MV‡, US county-level level variation in intersecting individual, household, and community characteristics relevant to COVID-19 and planning an equitable response: a cross-sectional, BMJ Open (September 2020), doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-039886. [†First authors contributed equally] [‡Senior authors contributed equally] [Pre-print version]
- Kishore N, Kiang MV, Engø-Monsen K, Vembar N, Balsari S, & Buckee CO, Measuring mobility to monitor travel and physical distancing interventions: a common framework for mobile phone data analysis, The Lancet Digital Health (September 2020), doi: 10.1016/S2589-7500(20)30193-X [Pre-print version]
- Kiang MV, Humphreys K, Cullen MR, Basu S. Opioid prescribing patterns among medical providers in the United States, 2003–17: retrospective, observational study, BMJ (January 2020), doi: 10.1136/bmj.l6968 [Open Access] [PDF] [Code] [Shiny Apps] [BMJ Press Release]
- Elser H, Parks RM, Moghavem N, Kiang MV, Bozinov N, Henderson VW, Rehkopf DH, & Casey JA, Anomalously warm weather and acute care visits in patients with multiple sclerosis: A retrospective study of privately insured individuals in the US. American Academy of Neurology Virtual Annual Meeting 2021: Online (April 2021). [Selected for press release]
- Ferguson J, Magid H, Purnell A, Kiang MV, & Osborne T, Evaluating potential disparities in COVID-19 testing and test positivity in the veterans health administration. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting 2020: Online (October 2020).
- Matthay EC, Kiang MV, Elser H, Glymour MM, Schmidt LA, & Humphreys K, Association of recreational cannabis laws with self-harm and assault injuries. Interdisciplinary Association for Population Health Sciences Annual Conference 2020: Online (September 2020).
- Faculty Mentor, Advancing Health Equity and Diversity (AHEaD)Fellowship (Summer 2021), Stanford University School of Medicine
- Instructor, Big Data and Infectious Disease Epidemiology (September 2019), People’s Republic of Bangladesh Directorate General of Health Services
- Course developer (x2), Using Python for Research via HarvardX V1 (November 2016) and V2 (January 2018), HSPH, Professor Jukka-Pekka Onnela
- Instructor, Intro to Causal Inference for Data Science Workshop (March 2017), Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México
- Teaching assistant (x2), Dynamics of Infectious Disease (Spring 2017 and Spring 2018), HSPH, Professor Caroline Buckee
- Teaching assistant, Society and Health (Fall 2013), HSPH, Professor Ichiro Kawachi
- Teaching assistant, Biostatistics II (Spring 2010), NYU, Professor Ying Lu
- Teaching assistant, Statistics I (Fall 2009), NYU, Professor Robert Norman
†First authors contributed equally.
‡Senior authors contributed equally.
§Best student poster award.